Two NATO soldiers killed in Afghan ‘insider attack’ in Helmand; shooters also killed

Some unidentified gunmen wearing Afghan military uniform allegedly killed two NATO soldiers at a foreign military base in southern Helmand province on Wednesday.
 
The shooters were also killed in the retaliatory fire.
 
It is the first such “insider attack” since April, when a gunman dressed in the uniform of local security forces opened fire on the U.S. soldiers in eastern Nangarhar province, killing one and wounding several others.
 
Described as “green-on-blue” attacks, Afghan security personnel attack international troops in these kind of attacks.

Described as “green-on-blue” attacks, Afghan security personnel attack international troops in these kind of attacks

“Two Resolute Support (NATO) service members died early this morning when two individuals wearing Afghan (military) uniforms opened fire on their vehicle at an (Afghan security forces) compound in Helmand province,” said a statement issued by NATO.
 
“Resolute Support service members returned fire and killed the shooters,” it added, with disclosing the nationalities of slain soldiers.
 
No group, including the Taliban, has claimed responsibility for the attack.
 
According to experts, these “insider” attacks are carried out by “insiders” due to cultural differences and other misunderstandings.
 
There is less likelihood of the involvement of Taliban insurgents in this attack, they said.
 
General John F. Campbell, the commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan, earlier this month spoke about the increasing quality of Afghan security forces, who, he said, “keep getting better and better”.
 
“For me, it’s about solidifying the gains that the Afghans have made over the last 14 years and ensuring that we have a stable Afghanistan for Central Asia and the region going forward,” Gen. Campbell said.

General John F. Campbell, the commander of NATO forces in Afghanistan, earlier this month spoke about the increasing quality of Afghan security forces

The combat mission of NATO forces formally ended in Afghanistan in December last year, after which the Afghan security forces assumed full responsibility of the security.
 
The Status of Forces Agreement (SoFA) constitutes a key element of the legal framework under which NATO-led Resolute Support mission continues its presence in Afghanistan, as mutually agreed between the two parties at 2012 NATO Summit in Chicago.
 
NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg in June said NATO member states will maintain “a civilian-led presence” in Afghanistan, but dropped enough hints to suggest that the support will not last forever.
 
“In the long run, no country can be dependent on a high number of foreign forces,” he said.
 

Do you have information you wish to share with Zariza.com? You can email our News Desk to share news tips, reports and general feedback. You can also email the Blog Desk if you have an opinion or view to share, or if you have a special project send us your photos or videos at Projects desk.


comments powered by Disqus

Afghan Zariza ( Millennium )

The Zariza is designed to inform, educate, and engage young generation inside Afghanistan. The Zariza’s goal is to empower Afghans to create better future through knowledge and actionable, positive and uplifting reporting and news. The Afghan Zariza was founded based on those needs and goals, and will fill this gap....

The Magazine ISSUE ( Feb 2015 )